We know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). Everyone goes through trials and no one is an exception to the rule. Trials come occasionally in our lives but it is the attitude that we have when we go through them that matters most. If we have trials, do we tend to complain and blame God for bad things that come to our lives? On the other hand, have we learned to humbly say thank you in the midst of trials? As what they always say, it is easy to say thank you if your life is going so well but how do you dare respond when trials come?
My wife and I have been married for 11 years and last year I could say is one of the toughest years in our marriage. I have been an engineer and worked for ten years in my chosen profession. Recession was all over the world and since I worked before in a consultancy firm, that has projects, mostly in Europe and U.S.A. our company had to close and retrench most of their employees. Unfortunately, I was one of them and losing my job had given us a financial strain in our family. I did not have a job for two months and my two kids have been hospitalized. Due to financial problem, we sold our car and believed that the Lord will sustain our every need. In the midst of our trials my wife and I did not lose heart, the two of us were more bonded than ever. Looking through the eyes of love was indeed the song for us in that year.
After two months of going through rough times, God indeed sustained us. God gave me a job in an international company. I had the highest salary in years that was more than what I expected. I believe God only tested our faith on what extent on how we will put our trust in Him. Now my family is enjoying the goodness of the Lord to us.
The two of us prayed through every rough time, we found our faith growing and our walk with God deepening. One more lesson learned, if your partner is going through a difficult time, gather and pray, but do not carry the burden. Even you may want to carry his load and make it yours do not do it. It will only make your partner feel weaker and a failure. Instead, support your spouse, encourage and stand firm for him.
One of my favorite authors Stormie Omartian says, “Trials can be a purifying fire and cleansing water. You do not want your partner to be burned or drowned; you want him to get refined and be renewed. If nothing can separate him from the love of God, then no matter how bad it get’s he always has hope!”

No comments:
Post a Comment