All couples who marry desires to have a perfect partner. It is always our dream to have a perfect one that will meet our every need. However, in reality if you love someone it is always a perfect time to let go of those expectations.
In our early marriage, I would often go home late at night. My wife would complain because she cannot count how many number of times I would promise to go home for dinner but then came home late from work. She would prepare my favorite food only to find out that I would work overtime and eat in our office. It was really an irritating situation for both of us especially when the kids are waiting for me for dinner. My wife talked to me one night and cried she said that she expected a husband that would give his family quantity and quality time. I also said that when I got married, I also expected a wife that will understand me of my chosen profession as an Engineer. I would work most of the times late at night and be assigned to different destinations. We expected many things from each other like having time that was not being met at all. We would always be arguing and similar ones happened far too frequently.
We finally learned and settled that it would be healthier for both of us if we rearranged are expectations. We realized that it did no good to be angry and resentful. All we need is to adjust and meet each other’s expectations. My wife would call me before she cooks our food and I would have scheduled overtimes on specific days so us not to hamper my time with my family. When disappointing things happen, it is better to remind ourselves of our partner’s good qualities.
Let go of as many expectations as possible. Understand always each other in love. The changes you try to make your partner to whom you would like him to be would only bring disappointment. Instead, accept your partner the way he is and make the necessary adjustments. In marriage, couples are always a team. Learn to trust your partner that both of you are on the same team and not an opponent.

No comments:
Post a Comment